Email from Katy ISD
November 20, 2020
Dear Katy ISD Parents and Guardians,
Below is this week’s Smart Restart eNews. More information about Katy ISD’s return to school can also be found on the Smart Restart web page!
*NEW* Now Open - KVA and Face to Face Elementary 3rd Nine Weeks & Secondary 4th Six Weeks Grading Period Option Window
The elementary and secondary instructional option form opened November 18 and will remain opened until December 4. The form is available on your student’s home campus web page. You are only required to submit a form if you wish to make a change to your child's instructional setting for the second semester marking period which begins Tuesday, January 5, 2021.
- If you wish to change your child from Katy Virtual Academy instruction to Face to Face Instruction for the next grading period, please complete the form. Face to face instruction will begin on January 5 and will be at your child's campus.
- If you wish to change your child from Face to Face instruction to Katy Virtual Academy instruction, please complete the form. KVA will begin on January 5 and instruction will be virtual.
- If you elect to change your child's instructional setting, please be aware that his/her schedule and/or teacher assignments are subject to change for the new grading period.
- If you DO NOT wish to make a change to your child's current instructional delivery setting for the next grading period, you DO NOT need to take any action. Please DO NOT complete the form.
- Reminder – Katy ISD will be closed for the winter holiday beginning December 21 and will re-open January 4.
*NEW* Temporary Suspension of “General Notifications for COVID-19 Positive” emails
The email distribution of “General Notifications for COVID-19 Positive” cases will be temporarily suspended during the holiday break, and will resume on Monday, November 30. However, new cases will still be recorded daily on the Katy ISD COVID-19 Dashboard.
*NEW* COVID-19 FREE Testing Site
The District’s testing site will remain open during the holiday break. Please note the schedule and hours of operation during the Thanksgiving break.
- November 21: 8:00 a.m.-noon
- November 23-25: 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- November 26: Closed
- November 27: 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- November 28: 8:00 a.m. - noon
Families may sign up for a COVID-19 test appointment time for their student(s) through this direct link here. Katy ISD employees do not require an appointment to be tested. The COVID-19 rapid test site is located at the District’s Agricultural Sciences Center at 5801 Katy Hockley Cut-Off Road.
*UPDATED* Katy ISD Athletic Department Updates
The State Cross Country Meet will be held on Tuesday, November 24 at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock, Texas. Katy ISD qualified the Girls Team from Cinco Ranch HS, Boys Team from Tompkins HS, and eight additional individual qualifiers from Tompkins, Cinco Ranch, Seven Lakes, and Katy HS. We want to wish them the best of luck!
Volleyball playoffs have begun with Seven Lakes, Katy, Tompkins and Cinco Ranch competing this week in the bi-district round. Follow us on Twitter (@katyisdathletic) for the latest scheduled matchups as our teams compete.
Out of an abundance of caution, we have temporarily suspended all practices, games, and team activities for Basketball, Golf, and Swimming & Diving through November 29th. Practices and games will resume beginning Monday, November 30th. Communication to teams is being handled by the Head Coach of each sport.
With reduced seating capacities at basketball games this season, unaccompanied minor students will not be admitted into junior high basketball games. Students attending games with their families will be permitted to attend. We are taking this step to reduce the number of spectators in attendance.
*UPDATED* Grab and Go Free Meal Sites
Please note: There will be no Grab and Go meal service during Thanksgiving Break. Meals will resume on Tuesday, December 1.
All curbside Grab and Go meal sites operate on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. Patrons can pick up breakfast and lunch for Wednesday and Thursday on Tuesdays, and meals for Friday, Monday, and Tuesday, on Thursdays. Meals are ready to heat and eat at home.
Curbside Grab and Go is available at: Morton Ranch High School, Mayde Creek, Cinco Ranch, Tompkins and Katy high schools from 4 – 6 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays. Meals are available at no cost to all children 18 and under. If parents are picking up meals for their children and the children are not present, identification for each child such as an ID, report card, or birth certificate must be presented prior to receiving the meals.
Students enrolled in in-person learning at their home campus are not eligible to receive curbside Grab and Go meals. Receiving the same meal at multiple campuses on the same day is not permitted.
CTE Courses Update for KVA Students
Several of the CTE lab courses originally thought to be achievable via KVA are not conducive or feasible in an online platform. These identified CTE courses require specialized hardware and software that are not compatible with most devices that students are utilizing in KVA. After receiving input from parents, students and administrators, the District is now allowing students with a medical hardship and who have access to the required hardware and software to remain in KVA and continue in their CTE course. You may apply for a medical hardship by submitting a request to email@example.com. Qualifying students who do not have access to the required technology will be handled on a case-by-case basis. If a parent, of a student enrolled in one of the courses below, elects to have their student remain in KVA without a medical hardship, the student’s counselor will work to schedule the student in a different course for the spring semester.
KVA students who are enrolled in one of the following CTE courses must elect to return to in-person learning to remain enrolled in the CTE course second semester. The remaining TEKS and CTE contact hours associated with these second semester courses require the use of specific equipment and are not conducive to (or feasible in) the KVA platform.
KVA secondary students who are enrolled in one of the CTE courses listed in the charts above who have NOT fulfilled the in-person instruction/lab components of their respective courses and are earning a failing semester grade will be removed from the course. Students will be placed in an alternative elective course for the spring semester. Students may have the opportunity to re-enroll in the CTE course for the next school year, if eligible.
KVA Behavior Expectations
As the first semester progresses, please do review and encourage your students to abide by the behavior expectations set forth for KVA students. The expectations can be found in the Katy ISD KVA Resource Guide, page 8, on the Smart Restart Page.
COVID-19 Safety Protocol Updates
Continued Campus Phase 1 Safety Protocols
Katy ISD Campus Phase 1 Safety Protocols remain in effect to ensure the continued mitigation and deterrence of the potential spread of COVID-19. The District anticipates releasing Phase 2 protocols when state, local and the Texas Education Agency (TEA) provide updated guidance allowing for de-escalation of virus mitigation protocols. Katy ISD will provide updates as additional information becomes available. Please check the Katy ISD "Smart Restart" webpage to review current Campus Phase 1 Safety Protocols.
Click the below image to access Katy ISD COVID-19 Resources:
The Katy ISD COVID-19 Mitigation Plan has been updated to provide the following clarifications.
- If a student that was sent home from school because they were deemed to have been in close contact and then is able to attain a negative result from an acute infection test at an approved testing location – they will at minimum need to wait until the start of the following school day before returning to school.
- If any individual is living in the same household with an individual who tested positive for COVID-19, they must:
- Notify campus nurse AND
- Self-isolate for 14 days
- The individual may return to school / work if;
- They receive an acute infection test at an approved testing location that comes back negative for COVID-19 with a medical professional’s release clearing the individual to return to school /work
- Recommended statement from medical professional allowing student to return to school, “Household mitigation has been assessed, individual is cleared to return to school/work.”
- Self-isolate for 14 days after exposure with no further symptoms.
Student Mask/Face Covering/Face Shield Requirements are available on the Safety Protocols web page.
High School Information
Fine Arts Updates
- The Fine Arts Department announces the unveiling of our first Education Support Complex Virtual Student Art Gallery. This online gallery features over 500 pieces of art created by our students pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade during this scholastic year. Enter the gallery at https://tinyurl.com/EscArtGallery
- Fine Arts Calendar
2021 Graduation Ceremony Schedule
Katy ISD is excited to announce that the Class of 2021, 2022 & 2023 graduation ceremonies will be held at Legacy Stadium. All ceremonies will begin at 8:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be rescheduled to 8:00 a.m. the following day. Tickets and parking passes will not be required of guests unless COVID-19 guidance requires a capacity limit for large outdoor gathering. The ceremony schedule can be found here.
Technology Help Desk Contacts for Parents/Students Support Inquiries
- Katy ISD Tech Help
- Or, click “Help” in Canvas
- Or, call: 281.396.7400 (6:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
- Or, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent and Student Technology Support Important Links
- Parent Tech FAQs
- Parent Tech Help
- Parent & Student Knowledge Base
- Home Access Center (HAC) User Guide (English)
- Home Access Center (HAC) User Guide (Spanish)
- Technology Device Request Form